I swapped the rock shrimp for large dice-sized cubes of tofu, and whipped up a batch of vegan wasabi aioli using Nayonaise, wasabi (obvs), some dashi, and miso to add a little hit of umami. If you have a deep-fryer at home, go to it (I'm jealous); if not, use a wok or sauce pan to heat the canola oil and deep fry the tofu.
I have to say, I was rather pleased with how these turned out and even found myself literally being chased around the apartment (I'm not the best at sharing) by my hubby who HAD to have a bite. Success.
Tofu Tempura with Vegan Wasabi Aioli and Fresh Chives
1 (14 ounce) block Nasoya Organic tofu
1 quart canola oil for frying
2/3 cup Nayonaise Original
1/4 cup dashi
1/2 teaspoon miso
1 tablespoon wasabi paste
1/4 teaspoon wasabi powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
Dash of fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour, divided
1 cup chilled seltzer water
1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
1. Wrap the tofu in paper towel and set between to small cutting boards, plates, or baking sheets. Rest a heavy cast iron pan or a few cans of tomatoes on top and press out excess liquid for at least 30 minutes.
2. Cut the tofu into large dice (3/4"x3/4"x3/4") and set aside. Begin to heat the canola oil to about 385 degrees. A thermometer is helpful, but if you don't have one, eyeball it with a few testers before dropping in the entire lot.
3. In a blender, combine the Nayonaise, dashi, miso, wasabi paste and powder, a pinch of sea salt, lime juice, and cilantro. Blend until well combined. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons flour and the seltzer. Place the remaining flour into another small bowl for dredging.
5. Dust the tofu cubes in the flour and toss them in the tempura batter. Immediately drop into the hot oil and fry about 1 minute or until golden. Remove from oil and drain on a plate covered in paper towel.
6. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and place the tempura into a mixing bowl. Ladle the aioli into the bowl, just enough to coat the tempura, and toss. Scoop onto a plate and garnish with the sliced chives. Serve immediately.